Friday, February 10, 2012

Spinach Ricotta Pie

I warned you that this was going to become a food blog for the month of February, right?? Because I have another recipe to share!
IMG_2781
Although this is called a "pie", it seems very much like a quiche. It really should just be called a spinach ricotta quiche.

Incidentally, I made the best pastry dough of my life yesterday for this pie! Thank you Julia Child. I got the recipe for the filling from The Moosewood Cookbook, which my friend lent me. It is interesting because it is handwritten and black and white, and from the 70s, but has so many cool recipes! This recipe is the one my friend pointed out to me as her favorite when she lent me the book. The whole book is vegetarian, which is why my friend lent it to me. Her name is Marie. I feel weird calling her "my friend" over and over again.

Recipe:
1. Saute half an onion. At a pound of chopped spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

2. In a bowl, mix 3 eggs, about two cups of ricotta, 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, some basil (I used pesto because I didn't have any basil), and the spinach mixture.

3. Pour the filling into an unbaked pie crust and bake for 45 minutes.
IMG_2779
IMG_2782
It was easy and so good! Next time though, I might add more stuff. Like artichoke hearts. (Secretly, my unvegetarian heart tells me it would be good with bacon too.)

4 comments:

  1. um....yum. I just bought that cookbook because we've been trying to do the whole vegan/vegetarian thing too and I'm going to look it up right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious - and I am going to try making it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a good post, except for there were no pictures of Violet.

    ReplyDelete