Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dinner success

Glenn is like the least picky eater ever.  Which is wonderful, and I really appreciate it.  This means that no matter what I make, he likes it.  But sometimes I can tell he LIKES it.  And doesn't stop eating until it is all gone, and that is when I feel like dinner is a success.

I have had this recipe bookmarked forever, and this week the stars aligned and I had a few of the ingredients already in my fridge and I needed to use them up before they went bad.  I am so glad I finally made it because it is definitely one of the best things we have had for dinner in a while!

Butter-Chicken-BLOg-450x292

It is called Indian Butter Chicken.  That isn't my picture, it is from this blog, which is where I got the recipe.  It is basically chicken tikka masala, so if you like that you will love this.  You can go to the link for the recipe, but it it was so easy!  We ate it with pitas, not rice, so it took me about half an hour from start to finish.  The only slightly weird ingredient that you probably don't have around is garam masala, a spice blend.  Fortunately, about ten steps out my front door is a liquor store that sells Indian grocery, so I didn't have to look to far to find some.  Other than that, you just saute onions, ginger, jalepeno, and garlic and all the spices.  Then you blend that all together with tomato paste and chicken stock and add chicken and half-and-half when you put it back in the pan.  Then I stirred in tons of cilantro right and the end.  But that part was optional.

This is getting to be a long post about something unimportant.  You can tell I really liked it!  One last thing: the best part was the sauce and I could have done without the chicken (although Glenn loved that part) but next time I make it I might do all veggies instead, like eggplant and cauliflower.  The pitas are a must though!  Sopping up all that sauce with the warm pita was heavenly!

7 comments:

  1. YUM! we use a different recipe, but i might give this one whack. im also thinking of using coconut milk instead of cream or half-in-half. I had a tikka masala at a Sri Lankan restaurant and they said they used that instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also read a lot of recipes that use yogurt. i might try that next time!

      Delete
  2. I love your new banner! So adorable. Also, I do like the bigger font way better than the small font. I can't wait to try this dinner! P.S. do you ever read the Pioneer Woman's food blog? There are some gems over there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love your new banner! And that first paragraph I could just replace Glenn's name with Judson's and that is exactly how I feel. I made pasta carbanara today and I thought it was yummy but I could tell Judson was lukewarm about it. But with your enchiladas, curry chicken pot pie, and butter cake he raves and raves. RAVES I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always read in cookbooks/see on cooking shows that pasta carbonara is the easiest meal, but every time I have tried making it, it was mediocre. So I don't think it is so easy to make really well. You could make that curry pot pie so easy! But I think you are a really good cook already. Remember how good mom's birthday cake was?

      Delete
  4. My birthday cake was really good! And I like your new banner too :)
    Dan is not a picky eater either and I really appreciate too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to give making naan a try. You won't be sorry, I promise!

    ReplyDelete